Birdfeeders

UPDATE MAY 24th, 2016

I changed my design a little bit. This video will show the differences.

These bird feeders are fun to make. I started making them with wine bottles but you can use just about any slender bottle. Matching the plates to the bottles is small step that goes the extra mile. I stop by the thrift stores every now and then looking for plates with spring time patterns (e.g. flowers, birds, butterfly’s, etc.…). I have experimented with a few different methods so far. I’ll start with what works. If you are looking at the pictures wondering why the seed isn’t coming out, it is because I have tape over the holes.

The first thing we need to figure out is what type of birds you want to attract. Larger birds need a larger perch. I personally make mine for smaller finch sized birds. They will drop some seed and the larger birds will pick it off the ground.

The first step is drilling the holes. I use the same method as with my lamps. I use a diamond hole-saw and keep it cooled with water. Since my feed has some sunflower seeds in it, I use a hole-saw slightly larger than a sunflower seed. Don’t worry if the seed gets stuck. The birds will fix that. I also drill the holes no more than 2 inches from the base.

Once this is done we need to make the hook. You can use many methods but I prefer copper tubing. I cut 18” of the thinnest copper tubing I can find. I get ¼” tubing typically used as a water line for refrigerators. To wrap it around the bottle I start using my hands. Wear leather gloves if you have them. Once I have loose fit. I start tightening it up with a pair of channel locks. This part takes a while. If this is particularly challenging for you I recommend making a hanger out of hemp twine.

From here on is where I experimented. I used three types of adhesives for experimentation. I tried an exterior silicone caulking. I held up until we had a few days of hard spring rain. Then I made a few with epoxy and a few with E6000. They both held up to the rain and winds with no problems. I left them up though the bitter winter and the epoxy one failed. The epoxy turned brittle and cracked. So far the E6000 is holding up.

I am going to redesign though. I had a complaint that they cannot be taken apart for cleaning. My intention is to hold the base on with a threaded rod or a bolt. I will have to cut them to size. I’m going to drill a hole on the bottom and mount the bolt with locking nuts. Once the base is on I will add a nut or cap that can be taken off easily. I am still trying to design a hook that can be easily removed without tools, but I think the most important part is the base.

If you have any recommendations please let me know.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s